What to ask wedding photographer
Choosing a photographer for your wedding in New Zealand can be a bit overwhelming. Our advice? Decide on how you want your wedding photography style to be and then look for professionals within your budget. Once you’ve been able to narrow your list down to 2 or 3 potential options, the following questions to ask your wedding photographer can help decide which is the best for you.
- What Style(S) Do You Specialize In?
Most photographers use a blend of several styles of photography, but you’ll want to make sure that if you’d like portraits, for example, they can shoot portraits beautifully.
- Will the Photos Be Retouched Before I See the Proofs?
Some photographers will only show you edited work while others will show you all the proofs and only edit those that you order.
- What Exactly Is in Your Packages?
Things like prints, albums, and proofs can alter your fees considerably. Find out whether these and your engagement shoots are covered by the general Package fee that they’re mentioning.
- What Is the Deposit and Total Fee?
In addition to this, also ask for when it will be due.
- Will You Be My Actual Photographer?
Don’t assume, find out if the person you are talking to will be the one at your wedding. It does not mean that their partner will be subpar, but you should at least meet with them to be able to make an informed decision.
- Do You Have Backup Photographers?
If it’s a company, then you’ll most likely already be covered. But in the case of a solo photographer, you want to know that they have colleagues that can cover for them if, for example, they fall sick.
- Will You Come with A Second Photographer to Assist?
With two photographers, more ground will be covered, and you’ll get more perspective on events. They might, however, cost more, so contact.
- How Long Before We See the Photos?
The long wait to see your pictures can be quite agonizing. But if you know in advance, you’ll be able to manage your expectations.
- Have You Captured A Wedding at The Venue I have Chosen Before?
This is an added advantage if the answer is yes. This will mean that they know important things like where the lighting is good. They’ll also know all the good picture spots.
- Will You Follow A Shot List?
Most wedding photographers will welcome a short shot list. Try not to overwhelm them with hundreds of requests and trust in their work.
- Do You Have Restrictions About Sharing Photos Online or For Publication?
Are you allowed to share your pictures on Facebook and Instagram? What rules guide that?
- Do You Bring Your Lighting?
This will help you know whether you’ll need to hire extra lighting or ask your venue to supply it.
Here is a list of more questions that you should ask your wedding photographer
Questions to ask before hiring a wedding photographer
- • When the photographer will arrive and leave?
- • When you can expect your photographs?
- • How you’ll receive your pictures?
- • Any printing that’s included?
- • Who owns the rights to the photos?
- • Retouching options?
- • What happens in an emergency?
Question about Availability
- Is my wedding date available?
- Will you be the one shooting my wedding? If not, can I meet the photographer who will be on-site?
- How many other weddings will you photograph that weekend?
- Will you have any assistants with you on our wedding day?
- Ask for Background Check
- How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
- Do you often shoot weddings that have a similar size and style to the one we are planning?
- Can we see the full galleries of a few of your recent weddings?
- Have you ever shot a wedding at our ceremony and reception venues? If not, do you plan to check the venues out in advance?
- Have you ever worked with our planner? Videographer? Florist? DJ?
Wedding Photography Style
- How would you describe your photography style? What would you compare your work to?
- How would you describe your working style? Do you prefer to blend into the background to capture candid moments, or do you like to be more visible and take charge to choreograph images?
- Do you shoot digitally? With film? Or both?
Pricing and Packages
- What is included in your standard package? What add-ons do the more expensive packages include?
- Can I customise a package to fit my needs?
- Do you include engagement photos in your packages? What about pre-wedding events like rehearsal dinners?
- How many hours are included in each package? How much do extra hours cost?
- Do you offer a photo booth?
- Do you offer retouching, colour adjustment, or other corrective services? Are those included or an additional charge?
- Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
- Most photographers have a radius, outside which they charge a travel fee. Over a certain distance, you may be required to pay for your photographer’s lodging, as well.
Prints and Albums
- Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
- What type of album do you offer? Do you provide assistance selecting images and designing the album?
- Are albums or prints included in your packages? How many pages or prints are included, and what is the turnaround time?
- How long after the wedding will we receive the images? How will they be delivered?
- Will we have the rights to the images?
- Will we receive the negatives and/or high resolution digital images? Is there a fee for that?
- Will the images be accessible online? For how long?
- When will we receive the contract?
- How much of a deposit do you require? When is it due?
- Do you accept payments in installations?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- Do you have liability insurance? Does it cover your assistants, as well?
- Do you carry backup equipment?
- What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
- How will you and your assistants be dressed?
- Can we request a list of specific shots we would like?
- Do you bring your own lighting?
- If you provide print albums, what type of paper will you use?
- Have you ever shot at my venue(s) before?
- How many weddings do you do a weekend?
- How long after the wedding do we get to see the photos?
Discussing this will allow your photographer to make plans to match the style of your wedding.
Would this be a great time to tell you that we handle wedding photography and videography here at La Rosa Wedding Photography? Well, we do, and we would love to capture your wedding activities. All you have to do is reach out to us, and we can get started planning for your wedding. Contact us today!